Percentile also commonly called as centile, is a statistical assessment of the percentage of students below and above the level you have scored out of total number of students. A few terms related to percentile are:
§ 25th percentile - first quartile
§ 50th percentile- median or second quartile
§ 75th percentile- third quartile
Percentile can be calculated by the formula as mentioned below:
§ Percentile of Student X= 100- 100*(Number of aspirants ahead of student X)/(number of total aspirants)
The use of percentile based ranking system has accorded many advantages in its name, as follows:
1. Class XII scores of a specific board are by and large in the order of merit of the examinees of that board.
2. Examinees of all boards same segregation of overall merit.
3. The hypothesis of equal merit distribution is the simplest and fairest that can be made under the present state of affairs.
4. Percentiles remain fundamentally immune to any misrepresentation caused by awarding higher marks by boards.
5. The fraction of students that fall in any percentile series would be the same, unaltered of liberal marking system or otherwise.
6. A very petite disparity in aggregate scores can make a vast diversity in percentiles.